Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mother....I Love You

I buried my Mother yesterday. She passed away on February 18th. I got there too late, my sister called and told me to hurry, I did, but Mother never did regain consciousness. I regret not only that but the fact that my sister had to be the one to witness the passing of our Mother. It should have been me. That should not be her last memory.

Mother was a kind and gentle soul. She had been in poor health the last several years and relied heavily on my late Father. When Dad passed away in December it seemed to take away whatever motivation she had to get better. They had been married for 65 years and I guess when you lose someone that you had shared your life with for that long, you simply cannot fill that void.

I am not asking for sympathy. Death is part of life, plain and simple. I am writing this for me, as a tribute to one who made sure I experienced the things that my Father wasn't going to teach me. She made sure I always read, anything and everything. Even when I was maybe 7 or 8, she'd sit me down and read poetry to me (something I'd never admit to my friends ;) and then have me read ones to her, ones that I liked. She taught me how to cook, do laundry, iron, and even how to sew buttons on. She always said..."Son, you need to know how to do things for yourself because if you do, you'll never have to depend on anyone doing things for you". She was so right.

One of my fondest memories came from when I was 5. Dad, ever the provider, was working two jobs, 7 days a week. I had a tricycle (still have it) but Dad brought home a two-wheeler and told me he'd teach me how to ride it as soon as he was able. Unbeknownst to him, because he was working so much, Mother would work with me every day and told me it was 'our secret'. I remember just before Dad got home one Saturday afternoon from work, Mother said "Ok, you're ready. When your Dad pulls up, I want you riding up and down the sidewalk. He'll be so surprised!" To this day, I remember my Dad's face as he got out of the car, seeing his little boy, however wobbily, pedaling up and down the sidewalk. He walked over to Mother, smiling, and put his arm around her and said 'Thank you for doing what I couldn't".

Mother.....I miss you. Say 'hello' to Dad for me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for your Mother for raising such an incredible man. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hold on to the happy memories and the grief will slowly get better. I love you XXOO

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm sorry about your loss. She was a wonderful mom who raised a wonderful son. {{{Hugs}}}

The Dish said...

I am so glad that you have so many wonderful memories of her. I am also glad that they are together again.

GiGi said...

My condolences to you. I will definitely hug my son a little longer and a little tighter today because I read this. Take care.

Gator Foodie said...

Your sweet mother taught you to be the man you are today. She just needed to go "home" to be with her man. My condolences to you, honey - & btw, even if your face was not the last she saw, she KNEW what you did for her & how much YOU adored her. xoxo

Anonymous said...

65 years of happiness is an amazing feat. She is joining your father where she will be happy again. Small consolation I know, but it's something.

I know it's been a horrible year. My thoughts are with you, that you will gain peace in the coming months.

Efen said...

Everyone...please know how much your words have meant to me. It does help knowing that there are those that actually care.

R...Thanks, honey. I am sooo ready for the grief to fade some.

ETW: She was a wonderful Mother. I wish she would have been in better health the last few years and able to more enjoy her years. {Hugging you back}

Dish: Thank you, Dear. Me too.

GiGi: I appreciate your sympathy. Ya know, I hugged my daughter tighter as well.

TGG: She did teach me a lot. 'Manners' were a HUGE thing with her...and its one thing that I adhere to today. She'd 'thank me' for doing stuff, which truthfully, aggravated me some. I'd tell her 'MOTHER...I'm your son and I do these things because I want to and because I love you..and NEVER thank me again. She'd just look at me and smile ;)

Vinomom: Yes, 65 years is a long time. You're right, but it's a consolation I'm going to hold on to.

It has been a tough couple of months but I feel worse for my daughter. These events have really taken their toll on her :(

J Fab said...

She knew. I'm learning that... A mother always knows. <<>>

I can't imagine your pain and I'm so very sorry.

Warped Mind of Ron said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like they were a good team like good parents tend to be. I'm sure she is happy with your father right now. Take care of yourself in these difficult times.

Loni's World said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, don't regret anything she knows you would have been there.
Beautiful post, Tears are running down my face (I give you the biggest hug I can!)
She raised a great man ;)

So glad you have great memories.