Sunday, October 26, 2008

Efen Ebert

There was some discussion the other day, started on The Warped Mind of Ron's page, about going to the movies. Basically it centered around the cost involved including the the ridiculously high prices of popcorn and soda (or pop ;).

I don't go all that often BUT I did go last night. A friend of mine called and suggested a dinner and a movie. If we go to the show at all, its with this couple. He and I have the same preferences on movie content; 'R-rated', guns, action, and of course.......boobs.

We tossed it back and forth, should we see ' Pride and Glory' or 'Body of Lies? We opted for 'Pride and Glory', for no particular reason other than the trailers we had seen looked good.

Since we're pretty much..uh..old, we decide to go to dinner at 5:30. Thats gives us plenty of time before the 7:30 movie.....and no, around here there aren't any 'Early Bird Specials' at 5:30 on a Saturday night (STFU Elle ;)

We buy the tickets 'on-line' before we go.....$9.00 a ticket..wtf? I do like this aspect of today's 'movie-going' experience though. Don't have to stand in line with the dumbfucks who are trying to decide at the very last fucking moment which movie they are going to see (Geez honey, I don't know..that one looks good; whatever you think, sugar; no dear, its your choice) FUCK ME!!!! Here's an idea...Have a fuckin clue before you get there!

Dinner was 'marginal'....nothing like plunking down $95.00 fuckin dollars (for 4) for a 'marginal' dinner. Even the 'Cubano Mojita', which is the 'signature' drink of this establishment sucked.

Shoulda known this was a precursor of things to come.

After dinner, we head to the theater. 'Course this ain't no 'normal' theater. It has 20 Fuckin screens, including those with 'theater seating', I-Max screens (2 of 'em), and 'Digital-Projection' screens (huh?...I thought they were all 'digitally projected').

But first, we have to get our popcorn and soda (or pop). So, we get the 'Medium Special'...4 drinks and 2 popcorns.......$30 fuckin dollars for this. Now you may be saying "Efen.....you JUST had dinner!". I know, but like I said, it was 'marginal' and popcorn and soda (or pop) is kinda 'traditional' when going to the movies.

Ya know the movie really doesn't start when they say it will. You have all the 'trailers' shown first. They did show a couple that looked pretty good although some times the trailers are better than the actual movie itself...duh.

One they showed was a comedy, which I normally don't care for, because they usually aren't funny....just stupid. But this one did look good and I like Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon. The movie is '4 Christmases' and you can check it out here: http://www.fourchristmasesmovie.com/ Another they showed was one coming out in December (I think) I'm really looking forward to this one. It's called 'Gran Torino' and it stars Clint Eastwood (who, I admit, I have a man-crush on ;) You can see this at: http://thegrantorino.com/

Now with the review of 'Pride and Glory' (don't worry, I won't spoil the ending or anything).

It stars Edward Norton & Colin Farrell along with Jon Voight. It's a 'cop movie' and the plot is fairly basic...'good cop versus bad cop'. This movie is LONG....2:10 and I think thats the main problem. Knock off 45 minutes or so and this would have been a pretty decent movie but they didn't and it drags...and drags. Its never a good sign when you find yourself checking the time and telling yourself that 'It has to be over SOON!'. The storyline is disjointed and there's so much mumbling going on you're straining to hear what the fuck it was they actually said. Norton is ok, doesn't show much emotion throughout, Farrell is probably the best and his character does a roller-coaster on what exactly the type of person he is. Jon Voight is, well, pink. His face looks like a baby's butt...I have never seen someone whose color is as pink as his. I found that distracting as I kept focusing on it whenever he was on-screen. Plus, I never could figure out exactly what his 'position' was in the NYPD. He plays the father of Norton (as well as that of another NYPD cop). There are guns and shootings along with a couple of major beat-downs. Oh....a couple of quick flashes of some crack-heads boobs.....but that was disappointing as well.

I give it '2 Efens'....out of 5.

10 comments:

The Kitchen said...

Sounds like a shitty evening!
I HATE spending money on a marginal dinner!

We rarely go to movies - today I was watching South Pacific with Toots on DVD - now that's a grand old movie!

Elle said...

Hehehe...2 Efens. There's a scary thought ;)

Did you at least get to take advantage of the "popcorn box trick"?

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I hate going to the theatre. Did you know that Jon Voight is Angelina Jolie's dad? When he was younger, think Midnight Cowboy, he really looked a great deal like her.
Sorry you had such an expensive and marginal evening. I hope you got some action at home later! :-)

Efen said...

the girl: It does look good! Yeah, thats what we woulda been doin ;) Hehe.....

Kitch (my new name for you;) Actually, I'm not all that thrilled about when it is a good dinner ;) Uh....I dont do musicals though ;)

Elle: Hehe @ '2 Efens'. Sheesh...if I woulda used that popcorn trick, do you think I would of got the MEDIUM box????

ETW: Angelina is very hot, very fuckin weird, but hot. And you're right...looked quite similar.
Uh....'action' after 10:30? I ain't Superman, ya know ;)

Warped Mind of Ron said...

I personally think if you pay that much at the theater you should see quality boobies. Heck if the movie is rated G the father should at least be able to go in a room and have some hot chick flash them for a bit before they have to go into the movie. Just my opinion...

Bucky said...

Logic would dictate that the more efen's the movie receives, the worse it is.

Therefore, it must not have been that bad after all.

:)

Efen said...

Ron: You are a true GENIUS!!

Bucky: Hmmm...that would be correct if I was using 'Efen' as a verb. In this case, it's a noun ;)
Made me think though ;)

J Fab said...

Efen... the trailers are the best part!!!!! I guess I am getting cheap, cause I only hit matinees now. It does cost way tooooo much for dinner AND a movie. So, hit a matinee and find a GOOD place to have dinner.

Suzie said...

I would of turn around and went the hell home! lol

Anonymous said...

I just read another blog about this movie today, coincidentally, and it mentioned an Iron and a Baby, so I think I'll be skipping this one.

I hate going to the movies. Ask me if I wanna play badminton or go to the movies and I'll pick the former. If I wanna see it THAT bad, I'll order it on Netflix.