Monday, October 13, 2008

"Lyin Fuckin Prick..."

Those are the words I muttered when one of my tech service guys told me he was quitting. Well, let me back up some.

Two weeks ago, on a Monday morning, I come into my office and find a resignation letter (with the 2 weeks notice) on my desk....from the same guy I just walked past, out in the shop. 'Course he didn't say a fuckin word, just was in a hurry to load up his service van and go out on his scheduled service jobs.

So, I go to him and ask 'WTF is the deal?" He tells me he just can't get along with the Service Coordinator (a female) that she yells at him about not taking the needed parts the day before (which he knows he's supposed to do), for not turning his time cards in on time (which he knows to do), and accusing him of 'modifing' his time cards (which I know he does).

A couple years back he came in and said he was quitting because he couldn't get along with the Service Manager. I told him I would talk to the other guy but in the future, if he had a problem he should see me about it before it got unbearable. He agreed. I talked to the Service Manager and all was taken care of.

I ask him why he didn't come to me sooner about this. That didn't I take care of the aforementioned problem? "I should have but I know you think she does a good job" (He's right about that, best person EVER in that thankless, stressful, fucking job). He said it wasn't him, it was his wife making him quit. WTF???????? He was coming home in a bad mood ALL because of the Service Coordinator and his wife was making change jobs. Oh, and we ended the conversation with "I'm going to give you my full 2 weeks, I wouldn't just up and quit on you..I'm not that type of person, you have my word on that".

I knew something was bullshit here but I let it lie a couple days because he said 'I'll try to talk my wife out of it" ....all along resisting the very strong temptation of saying 'If thats really the fuckin case then you are one big fuckin pussy".

A couple of days pass when I talk to him again. This time, the subject is MONEY...I fuckin knew it. Seems a competitor had offered him more. As much as I didn't want to (I'm short a service guy now because one is out with back surgery) I went more than he was being offered. Caught off-guard because all he could stammer was "uh...lemme talk to my wife and I'll tell you tomorrow (a Thursday) ".

Thursday comes and goes...nothing, 'cept I hear through the office grapevine that he's been asking one of the guys here 'What should he do? almost on a daily basis. Hmmm....thought it was all about is wife and it being her decision.

Friday.... nothing 'cept I'm still hearing he's asking others what he should do. WTF? By now, I am getting fucking pissed...make a fuckin decision and tell me. Saturday was the day I left for Alabama so since I hadn't heard anything I figured he'd draw this out til I got back on Wednesday and then he'd only have 2 more days left til his '2 week notice' was up...ya know, he's not the type to up and quit, plus, I have his 'word'.

I call in the office Monday morning and am told that he had left his van in the lot and his keys, cell phone, and gas card on a desk. No note, no phone call, not one fucking thing.

"Lyin Fuckin Prick" are the words I uttered. Here's a guy I gave a job to 7 years ago when his 'painting company' wasn't producing any income for him or his family. A guy who got a DUI in his own vehicle but nevertheless raised our insurance $1400.00/year for 3 years....and he still got his yearly raises. A guy who's cell phone bill ran $150-$250 in 'overages' for 6 months in a row all because he 'couldn't stop his wife from calling him' (while he was on the fuckin clock btw), a guy who's daughter got sick and I gave him extra days off...WITH PAY, a guy who right before 'year-end bonus' time fucked up a big job and cost us over $6000...yet he kept his job and still got his bonus. Uh....sorry....I'm sure you get the picture.

Am I pissed.........fuckin right I'm pissed but not really that he quit (altho the timing wasn't good) but the whole fuckinsleazeball way he went about it. Am I surprised........no fuckin way. There isn't a fuckin thing that people fuckin do that surprise me anymore. Does it make me look at doing things for people a little more judiciously.....not yet because I feel like if I can help an employee out, I should. When the day comes, and it may be closer than I realize, that I quit givin a fuck, then that'll be the day its probably time to put this place up for sale.

Just before you start thinkin "Oh....Efen is such a nice and caring guy, wanting to help people when he can"........keep this in mind....If this fucker ends up homeless livin in a fuckin cardboard box, so fuckin be it....I won't lose any sleep.

11 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

You know, bosses like you don't come along every day. I had a boss like that (although I wasn't a shifty, lying individual)... he really went out of his way to help us when our son was born prematurely and even offered to set up a crib in the office if I would come back to work - I decided I couldn't, having a medically fragile baby and all. But, I cried my eyes out the day I had to give them my notice. I kept in touch with him and his family and when he passed away a few years ago, I went to his memorial service. I still think about him almost every day and miss him.

Elle said...

Efen, I've told you a thousand times.

I'm not coming to work for you.

Forget it.

I mean it!

Efen said...

ETW: I can be hard ass, no doubt about it, but not if I know you're trying and showing initiative..uh...would you come work for me, uh..please? ;)

Elle: We all know thats BS...you sooooooooooooooo want to play that 'sexy secretary on my desk' thing ..dontcha? ;)

Bucky said...

What kind of company do you own?

The Kitchen said...

First of all, thank god there are people like you out there - unfortunately there are assholes that love to take advantage of your goodness.
The guy is obviously a loser and good riddance - not that that helps you when you are down a serviceguy, but in the long run you are so much better off without him!
It amazes me how people like that take so much for granted. He'll get his one day.

Efen said...

Bucky: An Industrial Equipment business.

Kitchen: You're right....certainly better off in the long, plus I just hired a guy with 5 years experience so that will help.

Again, not a saint whatsoever but I do try to help out when I can (or when its warranted)

The Girl said...

Liars suck, here hope this cheers you up, because dude, your scary when you pissed off :-)

"That wife of mine is a liar," said the angry husband to a sympathetic pal seated next to him in the bar.
"How do you know?" the friend asked.

"She didn't come home last night and when I asked her where she'd been, she said she had spent the night with her sister, Shirley."

"So?"

"So she's a liar. I spent the night with her sister, Shirley."

Warped Mind of Ron said...

I hate employees like that. I've seen my boss do a lot of nice things at work like a Christmas bonus and giving gift certificates at Thanksgiving and such, but some people bitch about it not being more or that is all I'm getting. Naturally it leaks back to the owners who rightfully get pissed because they were going above and beyond what they needed to. Some people just have no appreciation and no honor.

The Girl said...

Hey your live traffic feed says I'm from Pittsburg. Just for the record I am a Philadelphian Born and Raised and transported over the bridge to Jersey to raise my kids. Pittsburgh is our home office, it's a hole in the ground. Just to set the record straight.

J Fab said...

Ummmmm... What is the name of your daycare center????

You should have told him that you would have to ask YOUR WIFE if you could do all of the things that you did for him when he WAS an employee!

Having employees is the biggest headache EVER. I have two full time drivers and they have a person who works for them, so I have a grand total of FOUR and that's TOO many for me. They whine like little girls, too.

Fuckin crybabies.

J Fab said...

BTW... I changed the word verification settings on my blog.... just for you. :)

Be on stand by this weekend cause it's Vegas time! My guy friends might want to know the best places to pick up hookers! ;)