Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Seeing Red...all fuckin shades of it

I don't normally post on back-to-back days.....BUT.....something happened today that could have easily ended with me in cuffs. Please bear with me here as I'm sure this will be longer than normal.

Yesterday my daughter told me that one of her eyes that had been bothering her wasn't getting any better. This, evidently, started the day after she had an eye exam by an optometrist. I had told her to go back to him and have it checked out, which she did. Three days later, still no change.

I told her I would set up an appointment with an Opthamologist, just in case she needed a Rx or something. I set it up for 11:15 today since her first class wasn't until 1:00.

About Noon, my cell rings and its my daughter. I figure she's calling with the results of her Eye Drs. appt.

Thats what I thought...but all I could make out was her crying...super upset. Obviously my first thought was "Geezus.....what in the world could the Dr. have found?" Finally, after she calmed down (some) I was able to make out the following:

MD: Dad..he was so mean and rude. All he did was criticize me for not coming to him 1st. Whenever I asked a question he would look at me and roll his eyes. If he did answer it was only after he interrupted me, then he'd say 'I have no idea what that question meant...can you re-phrase so I can possibly understand?'...(more crying)

Me: Calm down honey...did he say anything else?

MD: I started to get upset and there were tears in my eyes and he said 'Look...now both of your eyes are watering'. I just got up, said I'm finished and left. Dad..I've never had anyone be like that to me, especially a doctor....I was so mad!

Me: Thats okay, honey. Uh...did he at least tell you what was wrong?

MD: He said he didn't know for sure but to keep ice on it for 2 days and if that didn't help to fill the Rx he gave me.

Me: Ok, Ok, don't worry about it...I'll take care of it.

You can fuck with me all you want. I can take it because I know, sooner or later, I'm gonna fuck you worse. BUT...fuck with my daughter and make her cry, well then motherfucker, you had better be prepared for the fuckin wrath I'm gonna bring down on you....and I don't give one fuck if you're the biggest bad-ass motherfucker around cuz NOBODY makes my little girl cry without consequences.

I did have one small logistical problem. It's now 12:15 and I'm picking my Dad up at 1:00 to take him to see a kidney doctor....and I'm 30 minutes away. No time to drive to this prick Dr's office so I call him. He's with a patient so I leave my cell number. 5 minutes later he calls me back.

In this time span I have gone from a '10' on the anger scale to maybe an '8'. I tell myself, even though I know my daughter is polite, not a smart-ass (except to me ;), and is respectful, I should hear his side first. So, I'm kind of willing to be 'somewhat' openminded.

Dr.: (In a bored and 'why are you bothering me tone' ) I had a message to call you?

Me: (I explain who I am) I would like to know why you made my daughter cry?

Dr. I don't know what you mean.

Me: You don't know? Did you see her upset? Did she cry in your office?

Dr. Well.....guess that depends on your definition of crying. She was ok when she left.

Me (rising now to a '9') MY DEFINITION IS WERE THERE TEARS IN HER EYES?

Dr. I guess....but I didn't say anything to her.

Me: So, you're telling me she just got upset 'out of the blue'? Listen, she aint 10, she's 22, she knows when someone is being a hateful prick to her...AND....I don't think you're quite gettin it....thats MY DAUGHTER you made cry. Of all the things you could do to make me as mad as I am...you picked the right one! If I wasn't so far away I'd be there for a little face-to-face with you.

Dr. IS THAT A THREAT? ARE YOU THREATENING ME?

Me: A threat? No..not a threat..thats a fact....but if you think it is..I don't give a shit.

Okay....now coming up is where I practically drive off the fucking road I'm so mad....seriously..its all I can do to stay in my lane.


Dr: Where are you?

Me: What?? Excuse me???

Dr: Where are you right now...how far away are you?

Me: ARE YOU FUCKIN KIDDIN ME? MOTHERFUCKER...IF YOU'RE SAYING FOR ME TO COME THERE AND MEET YOU, I'M ON THE WAY ....OR GIMME A TIME AND I'LL FUCKIN BE THERE...AND GUESS FUCKIN WHAT? YOU'LL HAVE NO FUCKIN PROBLEM FIGURING OUT WHO I AM...I'LL BE THE GUY WITH THE 'I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS' LOOK ON HIS FACE!!!


The line goes quiet...I'm thinkin the pussy jackoff has hung up...then I hear "Uh...what would like me to do?" WTF????? He goes from challenging me to this? I say "I want you to call my daughter...and apologize, and sound like you mean it because she'll know if you don't. I'm gonna wait 10 minutes, then I'm gonna call her and I swear if she tells me your call went any different than I think it should have.....buddy, you and I are going to meet...today. And another thing...you perform a service and we pay you for that service. In fact, your no different than the guy I call to fix my washer...he performs a service and I pay him. If I don't like his service and it ends up causing me more problems than I had...then I won't pay him. So, just like with him, I want you to cancel that bill".

He kinda mumbled so I don't know if he will or not. Frankly, I don't give a fuck...I just wanted to say that to him.

I call my daughter and she's better, not great but not all upset either. She tells me he did apologize but she wasn't sure how sincere he was. I told her it didn't matter, what mattered was that he was held accountable and part of that accountability was calling and saying he was sorry.

She then asked...."Uh Dad...what did you say to him?' I tell her it wasn't important. She says "It would make me feel better if I knew what you said". So.....I told her, sans most of my cuss words, but I know there was no doubt to her what I actually said. And you know what....she laughed and said "Thanks, Dad...I do feel better now".

Uh...also told MY Dad what happened..he just looked at me and said 'You don't make someones daughter cry" Thats me....a chip off the old block ;)

10 comments:

The Kitchen said...

Your Honor, I rest my case. I present to you, One Efen - a.k.a. Teddy Bear.

YOU SO ROCK!!! Your daughter is one lucky gal!!!

Elle said...

A.) you rock

B.) file a formal complaint with the state board TODAY. I don't have any patience for that kind of shit.

The Kitchen said...

Ditto on Elle B. And A, too!

Anonymous said...

Efen, you are amazing! My father would have stood up for me but in a different way. The end result is the same. I am glad that you took him to task and that your daughter feels better. There is truly nothing in the world that compares to Daddy's love for his 'little girl'!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

He probably had that coming for a long time. I'm glad you put him in his place!

Gator Foodie said...

You are one awesome Daddy! Your daughter is so very lucky!! :) Just because you're a doc doesn't give you the right to be a pompous prick!!! Go Daddy Efen,Go!! :) I woulda bailed you out honey!! ;)

Dale & Brennan said...

Efen - speaking from a daughter's perspective: we all need a daddy to slay our dragon's when the world makes us feel like a little girl.

I'm 40 and my dad still slays the occasional dragon. I'm thankful for father's like you.

Efen said...

To All: I appreciate your comments but I didn't react any differently than 99% of every other Father, especially in regards to their daughters.

I do want to make one thing clear...if this guy woulda been 6'8, 275#...well, that would have required a different tactic...and thats where 'I know people' comes into play ;)

Warped Mind of Ron said...

LOL... way to go! I feel the same way about things. If you mess with me I tend to be patient for a while before getting upset, but you mess with family and I get turned up to 11 out of 10 real quick.

Loni's World said...

OMG I had a similar thing happen to me. He made me undress for no reason then he actually said "Do you have a boyfriend?, Does he beat you?" WTF? had nothing to do with my visit, he asked if I had insurance and I said no so he said "Well how can you pay then? does your boyfriend have a job?" Again WTF? I had $2000 cash in my purse to pay for whatever was needed. He was very rude, I have never been treated like that. What a wierdo! I walked out and filed a complaint, they did nothing of course!

I am so happy that you did that for her.
You are such a wonderful Dad!

What a punk! He might have been recording you if he made you repeat things and then asked challening questions.
I would have kicked his ass too!
:)